Fees & Financial Assistance
ALA is one of the most prestigious education institutions in the world, with a unique financial model designed to enable us to identify, develop and connect Africa’s future leaders. Everyone who applies and is then admitted to ALA, regardless of financial background or nationality, is eligible to receive significant financial assistance* in the form of scholarships and loans towards studying at ALA and accessing membership to our lifelong network. The cost of tuition at ALA is USD $30,900 per year.
At ALA, the value of financial awards is determined after admissions decisions have been made. Fees charged to a given student will be based on a family’s financial means. We expect that every family will stretch themselves to finance the ALA education, just as we ask ALA’s network of supporters from around the world to stretch themselves to ensure that every admitted student is able to attend. Students from more financially disadvantaged backgrounds receive more significant financial assistance from ALA, and families with more resources are expected to contribute more to their child’s education at ALA.
Every student will sign the ALA Social Contract – a commitment to contribute to peace and prosperity on the continent for at least 10 years in return for the financial assistance provided by our community.
“Once we understood just how much would be invested into our child’s future and that we would pay a fee that took into account what our family could afford, accepting the financial assistance package and conditions from ALA was an easy decision. ALA was a major investment for us, but it was worth it.” – Dr Ayodele Fasawe, ALA Parent
“ALA’s unique model is really attractive to us as donors who believe that Africa’s future will be defined by Africans. We are confident that our support goes where it is most needed, and that the young people we support are committed to Africa. We know that every family at ALA is as committed as we are, working hard to contribute as much as they are able through an honest financial needs assessment.” – Ed Brakeman, ALA Donor & Supporter
Since inception, ALA and our donors have contributed nearly $50 Million.
The all-inclusive cost of $30,900 per annum to attend ALA includes:
- All-inclusive for fees for a full year covering tuition, accommodation, sports, activities, meals and uniforms.
- Full access to ALA’s campus facilities including entertainment areas, sports fields, high-speed fibre internet, biometric security control.
- There is proactive health and wellness care, including private medical insurance for every student.
- The Explore Johannesburg program, which gets students out and about in our world-class African city, attending cultural and entertainment events.
- Access to our exclusive and globally renowned University Guidance and “next steps” team, who will advise ALA families on tertiary study, gap year and other options.
- Exclusive access to the Africa Careers Network, a team at ALA dedicated to finding and securing employment for ALA graduates across the continent with top employers.
All financial assistance awards are determined after an in-depth financial needs assessment, and require the commitment to the Social Contract. If a student breaks their commitment to the social contract, their scholarship will convert into an interest bearing loan, such that they create an ALA experience for another future African leader.